Tuesday 17 September 2013

Getting Knifed For My Birthday

Every year, for the past 3 years, I have attended VredeFest, because it is for a good cause and it is always near my birthday! The bands that perform each year are usually great so that's an added bonus!

This year I'm deciding to do something a little selfish. I'm going to attend a band's show of MY choice! How lucky could I be this year? 

A question was posted on twitter the other day asking, "If you could listen to only ONE track by a local artist/band for the rest of your life, what would it be?" Without hesitating my reply was '16 Stitch - Collapse Of Air'. This was the band that got me into the local music scene. I would literally travel as far as possible as often as possible to go and watch their shows! I couldn't get enough of their energy! 

At a stage the act disbanded (for reasons I still don't know)... And another one started. In about 2009 another singer joined the band, with the rest of the band remaining the same. A somehow sharper, more mature nature came about! This new act is known as 'Newtown KNIFE Gang'. 


I have only been fortunate enough to see them live twice, but both times were power nights. Since seeing them at the Monster Energy New Years party a couple years ago, I have been yearning to see them live again. Just because I have not seen them live does not mean I have not been listening to their music! 

Their self-titled album was released at the end of 2011 and has been on repeat ever since! Their expected energy and great musical structure shine through on every single track. It is not about comparing them to their previous setup but rather about progressing on their new venture and growing the tight knit unit they prove to be! Favourite track on the album is 'Catacombs' with Spencer's perfect mix of screamo and melodic lyrics. Nick's unstoppable beats and the guitarists' melodies! Other tracks worth mentioning are, 'Lotus Eater', 'Listen' and then the obviously popular 'The Shape Of Things' and 'Read Between The Lies'. This is one of those albums that you never have to skip to your favourite track(s) as the entire album is worth listening to from start to end. Every. Single. Time. Also a band that are able to match their live performance with their album production quality! They always put on a show!

Seems like a perfect way to spend my birthday! Lets hit it hard on Saturday! Arcade Empire and Pretoria I hope you ready for whatever NKG is willing to throw at us... Spencer, Nick, Paul, Gareth and Warren... BRING IT!

Peace 

-Nexo-



No comments:

Post a Comment